2007年9月20日木曜日

Katakana! Yikes!

So continuing on in the whimsical world of JAPN 101 is turning out to be in some ways more difficult than I expected, but in many other ways, much simpler. It is difficult in the sense that I spend lots of time on it, hours every day, and it is very troubling to remember all the rules and such, and drills and quizzes can be stressful and I sometimes just blank out on the answers - but I am amazed at how much I have learned in a few short weeks! I have learned a whole new alphabet entirely, and most of a third! In a few days I am sure I will have completely memorized katakana. Two whole new alphabets, and many many grammar rules have been impressed upon me, and even though we are only in week 4 (I think) I remember them all. I don't remember ever learning anything this fast, much less a totally abstract thing which I basically have no frame of reference for (another language which is totally unrelated to english).

Anyway, I plan to spend alot of my weekend studying katakana - I feel like the rules for katakana-izing foreign words is mainly guessing based on pronunciation. Most of the rules are pretty logical - just kind of approximate a word and usually it is correct. I still can't figure out typing in hiragana though; I can read it on my computer now, but when I went to regional/language settings, japanese was not an option. I guess I can use the lab computers if i need to, but it would be nice to be able to type on my own computer.

3 件のコメント:

Sato さんのコメント...

I like your positive attitude toward something you are learning! It is very important.
As I repeatedly say, try to get used to what you are learning-- use it as often as possible!

As for typing in Japanese, you can refer to a document on toolkit, or you can ask Lam-san or Chua-san (I think they know it)!

がんばってください(Good luck/do the best/hang in there)!

Sato さんのコメント...

PS. Can you put the link to the class URL on the right hand side of your site?

Max さんのコメント...

Hai Sato sensei, arigatou goazaimasu. Gambarimasu.